The Studies page shows a list of Movebank studies and the study details for the first study in the list. You can filter these studies for text within the study name and limit the results to studies for which you have specific access permissions. (You can search for studies by text in the study details or by species using the Tracking Data Map.)
To access the Studies page, choose Tracking Data Map from the main menu and select Studies from the tracking data menu. After you have filtered the study list, you can
- Select a study name to view the Study Details.
- Select from the menu below the study name to view a list of animals, tags, files, live feeds, or file formats included in the study.
- Select an animal, tag, file, etc. to view and edit details (reference data) for that entity.
- After selecting an individual animal or tag, you can also view details on the deployments associated with that entity.
- You can change the details of a selected study, tag, etc. by selecting the Edit button below the details. You can also make changes to deployments, animals, and tags using the Deployment Manager.
The Study Statistics provide a summary of the contents of the study. These statistics are updated automatically when the actual contents of a study change. The last summary update shows when data were last changed in the study—this will typically be updated within seconds when new changes are made, but may take longer for studies with very large amounts of data. The number of deployed locations indicates the total number of locations that are part of animal tracks, while the number of records provides extra information about sensor types, undeployed records, and outliers (read more about deployments and visible data points). This summary is the most detailed information available to users who only have permissions to view the name and summary for a study.
The Studies menu, located above the Study Details, provides additional options for working with the study data. If you do not have permissions to add and edit data for the study, you will only see the Data and Download data buttons. The Data button allows you to view the data in the map, and the Download data button allows you to download data. If you do not have permissions to view or download the data, a message will appear saying that no data are available. If you are a data manager for the study, you will be able to access all of the following options:
Data: open the Event Editor, view the deployed data in a map, or view all data in a map.
Download: download study data in a variety of file formats and with the optional addition of additional environmental parameters to the dataset as described in Accessing data in Movebank.
Add: add a new animal, tag, or deployment to the study.
Sharing: set permissions for the study and add or remove data managers and collaborators to/from the study as described in Permissions and data sharing.
Upload data: upload new tracking data and reference data to the study as described in the Data upload section.
Manage live feeds: add and edit subscriptions to Argos data, and manage email notifications for Argos and GSM feeds, as described in Creating and managing live data feeds.
Manage deployments: open the Deployment Manager to manage deployments and information about animals and tags.
Env-DATA: Run the Env-DATA Track Annotation Service—part of the Env-DATA System that allows you to link environmental data from many providers to data in Movebank—and check on the status of past requests.
Reference data, which describe animals, tags, and deployments in a study, are typically added and edited with the Deployment Manager or by uploading a reference data file to the study. You can also add or edit reference data, as well as file and file format details, from the Studies page. To do this
- Go to the Studies page and select your study to view the study details.
- Select the entity you want to edit by selecting from the menu below the study name on the left. Details about the entity will appear on the right side of the page.
- Select the Edit button below the details.
- Make changes to the fields. (Note that you cannot manually edit the statistics, because these are calculated automatically from the contents of the study.)
- Select Save.
See the Movebank Attribute Dictionary for the definitions of reference data terms used in Movebank.