To add new data to Movebank, you must be the owner or have permission from the data owner. You can import data directly using our flexible mapping interface, import it using automated feeds and formats, or send us files and we can organize a new study and turn control over to you.
1. Register for a free account on Movebank. To upload and manage data on Movebank, the data owner (or someone with explicit permission from the data owner) needs to be registered on Movebank.
2. Decide whether you will start a live feed or upload files. We offer live data feeds for many providers, allowing you to create a subscription to have data automatically sent to your study in Movebank. If you are using other types of tags or have the data stored on files, you can upload the files to your study.
3. Prepare files for upload. If you will upload data files, determine whether your data are in a supported format. If they are not, prepare tabular text files, such as .csv files. Be sure you know the time zone, reference coordinate system and units in which the data are stored, so that you can convert into Movebank's formats as needed while preparing the import. You can also prepare a table of additional information about animals, tags and deployments to import as reference data. See the Movebank Attribute Dictionary for a list of variables that can be imported to Movebank.
5. Set the Permissions for your new Study. Study owners control access to their data by choosing what parts of their study information to share with Data Managers, Collaborators, and the Public.
6. Start a live feed or import the data. If you have custom formatted data, the upload interface will walk you through mapping each attribute to a Movebank-recognized attribute during the import process. At the end of the import, you can save the file format so that additional files in the same format can be added to the study more quickly. If you want to upload a large amount of custom data to Movebank, we recommend you contact us at email@example.com to discuss the best way to import and organize your data.
We recommend checking data after import to ensure quality control. If you receive an error during import and are unsure of the cause, see here for solutions to common formatting issues. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.
After you have uploaded data to Movebank, you can
- Manage deployments and other descriptive information about the data.
- View the data on a map.
- Edit the data.
- Annotate environmental information to your data using the Env-DATA Track Annotation Service.
- View and annotate acceleration data collected with e-obs accelerometers.
- Download data in .csv, Excel, ESRI shapefile, or Google Earth format for further analysis.