To add new data to Movebank, you must be the owner of the data or have permission from the data owner.
1. Register on Movebank. To upload and manage data on Movebank, the data owner (or someone with explicit permission from the data owner) needs to be registered on Movebank.
2. Decide whether you will start a live feed or upload files. If you are currently collecting data from Argos PTTs (including PTT-GPS units from Microwave and GeoTrak) or GSM-GPS tags from CTT, Ecotone, e-obs, Fleetronic, madebytheo, Microwave, MoveTech, or Ornitela, you can set up a live data feed to have your data automatically added to your study in Movebank several times a day. See here for more information on working with Argos data in Movebank. If you are using other types of tags or have the data stored on files, you can upload the files to your study.
3. Prepare files for upload. If you will upload data files, determine whether your data are in a supported format. If they are not, prepare your data files as .txt or .csv files and be sure you know the time zone and datum in which the data were collected. If you have individual files for many tags or animals, or if you want to include additional information about the tags/animals/deployments, consider preparing a reference data file for upload. See the Movebank Attribute Dictionary for a list of variables that can be imported to Movebank.
5. Set the Permissions for your new Study. Study owners control access to their data by choosing what parts of their study information to share with Data managers, Collaborators, and the Public.
6. Start a live feed or import the data. If you have custom formatted data, the upload interface will walk you through mapping each attribute to a Movebank-recognized attribute during the import process. At the end of the import, you can save the file format so that additional files in the same format can be added to the study more quickly. If you want to upload a large amount of custom data to Movebank, we recommend you contact us at email@example.com to discuss the best way to import and organize your data.
After you have uploaded data to Movebank, you can
- Manage deployments and other descriptive information about the data.
- View the data on a map.
- Edit the data.
- Annotate environmental information to your data using the Env-DATA Track Annotation Service.
- View and annotate acceleration data collected with e-obs accelerometers.
- Download data in .csv, Excel, ESRI shapefile, or Google Earth format for further analysis.